Saturday, June 18, 2011

LIM20 - Monogram It!

It's time again for the Less is More weekly challenge. This week, Mandi and Chrissie have giving us a theme challenge.  We will be making cards with a Monogram.  I can't say that I've ever done a card with a monogram on it, but what the heck...I'll give it a try!

I do like to have a meaning and purpose for the cards that I make...you know, someone to send it to.  Thinking about all that's going on in our lives, I realized that since my son and daughter-in-law are expecting a baby in October, that they could probably use a few thank you cards. Now that I have an idea...I'm off and running.  


My cards are 4.25 x 4.25 squares.  I rarely do a square card, but this design seemed to work better on a square card.  I printed the letter "B" (for their last name) using Brush Script font and a text box in Word.  I wanted my circle to be a 2 inch circle, so I played around with it and printed it out a few times before I got it the size I wanted it (I set the font size to150).  Then I copied the text box and pasted it 11 times so that I filled a page with the letter.  I punched the Monogram out with my 2 inch circle punch.  I wanted a thin black mat on the monogram, but all my punches were too big, so I cut my circles out using the Silhouette and that way I was able to get the to a size that would only make a thin matted edge on the monogram.  I stamped the flourishes about 1/2 inch in from each side at the middle, then added the matted monogram on pop dots.  I must say, I am delighted with my cards this week.


In fact, I like them so much that I decided to make up about 10 cards to give to my daughter-in-law.  Now I just needed something to put them in....hmmm. You guessed it! I decided to make a box that would hold the cards and envelopes.


I made quite a few of these boxes a year or so ago to give cards at Christmas, so I decided to tweak my box pattern so that it would be deeper and I could put 10 cards and envelopes in it. There's a tutorial on my blog for how I make these boxes that you can see here.  I used a 12 x 12 sheet of black card stock to make my box, instead of the 8.5 x 11 in my pattern.  I made it about 1.5 inches deep so that it would hold all the cards and envelopes, because the smaller box will only hold about 5 cards.  I used a Martha Stewart deep edge punch for the top panel, mostly because the 12 x 12 sheet of card stock isn't quite big enough to get a full front flap.  I added a strip of black across the front with punched edges, and then a white satin ribbon over the punched piece.  The monogram circle was added with pop dots.  I also used some small Basic Grey magnetic snaps under the top flap and on the box so that it would stay closed.  

Sharing another layout I did last week. This is a photo of my maternal grandparents that was probably taken sometime in the mid 1940s. 


I used TPC Studio papers (Grandma's Attic collection).The swirls are stamped on transparencies and cut out. The blooms are a combination of Prima and blooms I punched, inked and doodled on. All flowers have pearl centers. Some of the centers I colored with Copics to match my flowers better. The Bible is a photo that I printed on card stock and cut out, then pop dotted it on the layout. Lots of doodling around the edges of each layer...and the double stitched look was done with a stamp. The green scalloped circle was made by stamping an image on the green, punching with a circle punch and then punching a brown scalloped backing with a scalloped circle punch. The other two tags were made by stamping an image and then cutting it out. The rectangle Bible verse was stamped and then cut out with a Spellbinder die. Title letters (Granddaddy)were cut with the Silhouette and "was a Preacher-Man" was created in Word. 
  
Journaling is tucked behind the photo on the right side with the scalloped green edge as the pull and reads:

My Granddaddy (William Wesley Pace) was a Baptist minister. He was married to Ola Catherine Susan McDowell Pace and they had 10 children. My mama (Grandma Perdue) is the baby of her family. My grandparents both died in the early 1950s. From what I've been told, Granddaddy did most of his preaching at small country churches mostly in the state of Georgia. From stories my mama told me, he was a very strict disciplinarian when she was growing up. I only have vague memories him but I do remember him holding me in his lap and giving me hugs. I remember my Grandmama much better, because she came to live with us after Granddaddy died. One of the things that I remember most about my Grandmama was that she would let me crawl up on the bed with her in the mornings and sip coffee from her saucer. I've never liked coffee as an adult, but I sure enjoyed drinking coffee with my Grandmama. 

That's all for today. Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments are greatly appreciated!! Until next time.....


Hugs!






Pin It!

76 comments:

Jan said...

Gorgeous cards xx Jan

Sandra H said...

Gorgeous Monochrome card love the image on the card also the box made is so cool too!!........:) Sandra H

Lynne said...

I just knew that you would come up with something as beautiful and perfect as this. It is so professional.
Lynne xxx

Mandi said...

These are WOWSER Susan!
Perfection!
Such a treat for our LIMettes to see, such inspiration!
Love your regular family history posts
amazing
Thnks as always
Diva LIM mandi
"Less is More"

Suzilou said...

Gorgeous card, and wow to your box will have to go and look that tutorial up. Love your scrapbook page so wish I had the time to do this, I love taking photos but they just end up stuck on my pc hehe :)

Suze Bain said...

Love your card - so elegant, love the box - so pretty and love the SB page - what a fabulous way to remember your grandparents. xx

Beryl K said...

Susan, this is just fabulous. Such a great idea
Beryl x

Sue said...

Hi Susan, Wow you have been busy, it is surprising what sparks one off on a idea , this one is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing the how to, if only I could find the time I'd love to have a go. Fabulous design. Sue x

Jill S said...

Very effective indeed.

Jill S

Margaret said...

Gorgeous cards Susan, your daughter-in-law will be thrilled with them
Margaret x

Fiona said...

What a fabulous set Susan, SO elegant and very professionally made.

Tara Cardwell said...

Well, if you don't make the showCASe with these I'll eat my hat! They are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! You may not have made a monogram before, but I bet you will be making them more often now. The box is delightful too and you Dinlaw will love them I'm sure. The scrapbook layout is delightful too.
Tara x

Rosemary said...

gorgeous card, susan! absolutely love the layout of the grandparents! thanks for sharing it!!

Dana said...

Wow, fantastic Susan!

StampingStace said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Love them!
Stacex (19)

Carol said...

Wow, these are stunning and I love the matching box - your daughter in law is going to be delighted. Love seeing your layouts each week too. Carol x

Jess S said...

these are so fabulous, I'm sure your son and daughter in law will love them :)

Dolly Daydreams said...

Hi Susan stunning work as usual and just love that monogram so stylish . Will definately try to make the box , super gift idea I love it.

Marie

Stamps and Paper said...

Just fabulous Susan and I love the box...your son and daughter will love them.

Anne

Suzi B said...

No wonder you're delighted Susan this card is wonderful! I love it!
Sue :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, what a lot o fabby work! Valerie

Kathyk said...

All fab projects and your gift will definitely have that WOW factor - stunning

Kathyk

Sue said...

Wow these are stunning and look so profesional what a great gift and i bet they will be most appriciated and love your scrap page Luv Sue x

Deborah Frings said...

These are just fantastic. Simple, beautiful and so elegant. I love the gift box you made too. Your daughter-in-law will love them!

Great scrapbook layout - it has a very vintage feel!

Zoe Tant said...

You should be pleased these are very elegant and I love your scrapbook page too!

Meggymay said...

Real elegant cards, love the box as well. Yvonne x

My name is Wynneth said...

Stunning Susan, just stunning ! Such a brilliant design and a great idea for the box to hold a set of cards - will have to check this tutorial out and have a go myself. Your cards are so elegant. Loving your family LO too. TFS.
hugs
wynneth
x

Diane said...

I have to agree with Mandi...these are a wowser and so very inspiring.....classy~elegant~and beautiful.....I have been working on a set of monogram notecards for my Mom for 2 years...you have inspired (and shamed me...lol) into finishing them....have a nice day!

Ang C said...

Stunning! The black and white works perfectly

Canonbury creations said...

These are gorgeous Susan and for such a wonderful occasion:) Hope you've made enough they may come back for more!!
Love looking at all your scrapbooking beautifully put together and so interesting!
Val x

Chrissie said...

Just look where your creativity took you from the stimulus of our challenge... I feel exceedingly gratified!
This is just great Susan!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Anonymous said...

Stunning and very classy!

GinaA said...

Love the script with the frame, the box is the icing on the cake for a perfect present.

Aileen said...

Fabulous set of cards. I'm sure they will be delighted. The monogram is so elegant in black and white. Love your box and the whole set makes a fantastic gift. x

Cazro said...

Wow! Stunning and such a great idea. love the presentation box for the crds, I love black and white. So elegant. Thanks for commenting on my Zentangle card, sorry it wouldn't enlarge, if you want to pop back, I have fixed it and it now enlarges.Caz http://cazroscraftycorner.blogspot.com/2011/06/z-is-for.html#comments

Brenda R said...

What a way to start out with monograms - so professional. I haven't participated in this challenge in quite awhile; it's probably time again! I also love reading your scrapbook pages.

joanne wardle said...

what beautiful cards, and to think, you wouldn't have tried this if it hadn't been for the LIM challenge

Jenny said...

Oh these are a wonderful idea Susan and make a lovely gift in their own presentation box. Love your scrapbook page too, vintage pages hold so much information and story triggers. Thanks for sharing :)
Jenny x

Linby said...

Very elegant and I just love the box for them.
Linbyx

Sally said...

Wow, amazing work Susan. The cards are so elegant in monochrome & the box you made is super. Well done.
Sally x

Anonymous said...

Simply stunning, love them!
Helen x

Loli said...

Hola susan, i'm pleased to meet yours grandparents.
GREAT JOB!!!as ever Susan, fantastic, so elegant cards and box, i love it.
Have a nice week.A hug from Palma

Netty said...

Superb set of cards and a fabulous box.

Gibmiss said...

Hi Susan
Gorgeous ...gorgeous cards ...what a Fab idea...stunning ...
hugs
sylvie
xx

massofhair said...

STUNNING Susan, what more can i say... Very very beautiful and thoughtful gift. Your design works brilliantly in black and white:-)

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, This monogram card is a work of art, perfect gift for your daughter too, love it!! Fancy all that history and you've made a brilliant page, I love it, Gay xxx

ThinkInk Creative said...

These are all wonderful and thanks for sharing all the details - enough to inspire one to have a go. Talking of inspiration, THANKS so much for the kind and motivating words you left on my blog. You are awesome personified.

cheers,
Malyn at ThinkInkCreative

jo said...

Stunning cards Susan and I love your scrapbook layout too. Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog.

cnelson said...

LOVE those GORGEOUS monograms! Your lo could not be more FABULOUS!

Diane Louise J said...

What a wonderful idea, your project is stunning, your Son and daughter-in-law will be so pleased when they open that beautiful box and see what you have made inside.
Diane xx

Wishcraft said...

Oh they're gorgeous, and your box is just stunning! Lisa x

Willy said...

Beautiful set of cards!

Lynn said...

Susan, I just don't know where your creativity comes from! These are superb, and the box is fab. Lynn x

Erica said...

I am soooo using that box. Thanks so much for the tute Susan. My goodness, I checked out your resume. You are one FAB paper crafter. AND, you do such lovely scrapbook pages. I love that you share your journaling with us too. I'm so tickled that you visit my humble blog and comment. It's so sweet of you to support me even when I enter a "less than correct" card. I guess I got a bit too full of myself after having been showcased last week. Mia Culpa. I'll get back on track next week.
Cyber Hugs,
Erica

Heikes Kartenwerkstatt said...

Hi Susan, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Your cards are beautiful. Your box is really chic and classy.
Many greetings from Germany. Heike

Anonymous said...

What beautiful cards - really love them

Bonnie said...

WOW! Susan these are super elegant! I'm sure this will be a welcome gift. I'll be she saves them for the most special of notes!

fatmonica said...

Beautiful cards,so elegant and that layout is just fabulous.What a lovely photo!

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Fabulous creations as always susan

ali x

sparklygirl-Tina said...

Hi Susan

Wow what a stunning monogram creations and I like the fact that you made it to be used - so many of my challenge cards are just sitting in my craft cupboard..... I may have to take a leaf out of your book. Your recipient will be so delighted.

Take care

Tina

Vicky Hayes said...

The cards are absolutely perfect Susan - the elegant letter framed against the ornate flourish. Stunning!

Jo Street said...

Your cards and gift box are just beautiful, so elegant. Your page with the grandparents on is lovely, I keep thinking I really should do something with our family photo's instead of leaving them in a shoebox!
Thanks for your lovely comments on my card.
Jo x

Angela Weimer said...

Lovely cards and fab box for them. Very elegant. Love the layout too and how precious to have those photos. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day. Angela

Linda said...

Beautiful work as always, Susan. You've spurred me on to finish a project I started ages ago!! Thanks!
:-)

elke verschooten said...

beautiful!

Elaine Stark said...

Beautiful, I love black an white always so elegant. Your layout has a lovely nostalgic feel. Elaine

Maja said...

Waw, this is stunning! Love the card and the card box.

Lisa Jane said...

wow your cards and gift box are just stunning.. what a fabulous monogram.. the new parents will love them and so will the recipients
Lisa x

Kathleen said...

These card are fabulous and look so very elegant. Like you I try to do an entry that will fit something I need or that I can add to later but this week I was stumped. I am going to a wedding on Saturday but had already made the card and their initials are I and A and it was very difficult to join them.
Thanks for your comments.
Oh and I love reading your scrapbook pages and the stories behind them, can't do scrapbooking myself but yours are great.

Kath x

Janet said...

Wow, how beautiful, the box is stunning. Thank you for your comments

Pauline said...

So beautiful and elegant Susan! Love the gift box they come in too.

Rachelxx said...

Such beautiful & elegant cards & such a lovely present & boxed too! :-)

Maribel said...

Beautiful and elegant. I love

Theresa said...

Susan, your monogram cards and box are stunning. Fantastic job! I also love your scrapbook layout - beautiful.

Greta said...

Oh my goodness I absolutely adore the monogram cards & box you made! You have inspired me & I'll be CASEing what you did! I had a great grandfather who was a circuit riding preacher in & around Indiana, so we have something in common! Thanks for leaving me a comment!

Shirley-Anne said...

hi Susan , thanks for popping to my blog and leaving comment . The monogram I used was a chipboard letter already glossy . Love your post here , very interesting and informative . love the page layout . Your set of cards are each stunning .Love black and white .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails