Wednesday, November 16, 2011

LIM41 - Leaves....and more


The Less is More challenge this week is a one layer card with the theme of leaves.  Of course, I just made a card last week using leaves....just saying, Chrissie and Mandi! LOL!  Oh well...last week's card wasn't one layer, so I had to do a little thinking about this one.

I'd also like to say Thank You to Chrissie and Mandi for selecting my card to be showCASed from week 39.  I was certainly surprised to see this ornament snowflake card in the showCASe!  I'd also like to say that I'm sorry that I haven't made it around to very many blogs in the last few weeks.  I do look at most of the cards, but life has been so hectic lately that I just haven't had time to leave comments! So Sorry!! I'll try to do better this week...although with this late start I'm getting, I'm not sure how that will work out!

Moving along...I've actually made two cards this week.  I'm still working on my Christmas cards, so I wanted to make one of them a Christmas card.


For this first card, when I was looking through my punches, I realized that I have three similar punches in three different sizes...so I decided to create something with them.  I punched the leaves (using the 3 different sizes) down the right front of my card base.  To add color without layers, I masked off part of the inside of the card (just enough to fill the leaves) and sponged on distress ink in Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmalade, Pine Needles, and Mustard Seed.  With just the sponged ink the leaves looked a little blah, so I decided to add a touch of color in splotches. To do this, I crumpled up a piece of paper and tapped it on the darker ink pads and then used the crumpled paper to "stamp" some random lines/splotches on the sponged background for each leaf. On the bottom leaf I tapped with Worn Lipstick and Pine Needles and for the two smaller leaves I tapped it with Spiced Marmalade.  I think it gave a very nice effect. The sentiment is from Flourishes. Now...about that sponged strip on the left....I added that because I managed to get my inky fingers on the card and leave a smudge...so what to do?  Cover it up with a little sponging to match the inside!  Saved!


Here's a photo of the card from an angle so that you can see how the inking was done.


For my second card, I used a holly leaf stamp that I've had forever.  I'm not sure, but it might be an Inkadinkado stamp.  I stamped in Memento black.  The stamp has three leaves and some berries on it.  To make it conform to the shape I wanted, I drew a circle with a pencil so that I could line up my stamping.  I also cut a mask from a post it note.  The image was actually stamped 6 times to get this shape.  I colored with Copic markers, then using my Sakura clear star pen, I highlighted all the leaves and the berries.  After that dried, I went back and coated all the berries with glossy accents. In real life, this card is very sparkly and pretty. The sentiment is from Flourishes.


I wanted to share another layout while I'm posting.  This is the first layout I've completed since my hubby got home from the hospital...and it seemed to take forever to finish.  I hadn't scrapped in over a month, and it seemed like I'd forgotten what to do! LOL!  


This is my precious little granddaughter, Maggie.  Photography by Amy P Photography.  I just love these cute pictures...and Maggie is just adorable!!  For the layout, I used Echo Park Little Girl collection. The photos are backed with a dark pink card stock. All the little circles were punched from the design on on of the papers. All small circles are pop-dotted on the page. I added a touch of glitter to the center of each circle. The little birds on the bottom were also cut from one of the papers in this collection. I punched a dark pink border with a MS edge punch that embosses along the scallop. The title work was all cut with my new Cameo. The Cameo is new from Silhouette - it will cut up to 12x12 inches and all the files from my Silhouette work with it. So far, I'm loving it! The ballerina was also cut with the Cameo, and I added a sparkly top and a tulle skirt with a bow to the ballerina. I also added some sparkly toe shoes, but I don't think they show up very well. I used a dot of stickles on each of the letters and also on the tulle skirt. The title work and the ballerina are all on pop dots. IRL this is a very glittery, girly layout. I used a Sakura clear star pen to outline each of the title letters. The pen give just a hint of glitter to the edges. The journaling is tucked behind the top of the pink mat and reads: 


Maggie, you are so adorable in your little pink tutu. You have the brightest eyes and such a solemn expression on your face. Your crocheted hat is just precious with your tutu, but it covers up all your blond curls. You are so precious and I wish that I could see you more often than I do. These photos of you make me want to pick you up and give you lots of hugs and kisses. Photos – April 2011 

Here's a photo of my new toy cutting machine.... the Silhouette Cameo. THIS is a cool cutting machine!
Silhouette Cameo 12" Digital Craft Cutting Tool

That's all for me today...bet you thought I'd never stop! LOL!  Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments are greatly appreciated!  Until next time...

♥ Hugs! ♥



Pin It!

37 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

That sponged strip on the front is one heck of a "save" Great cards and cute scrapbook layout :-D
Tara x

Sandra H said...

Hi, Both cards are just so beautiful:) Sandra H

Linby said...

oooh I want to try the technique you used on the first one and fab save, just looked like it should have been there LOL! great second card too.
Linbyx

Unknown said...

stunning cards Susan! the first one is my fave - it's absolutely gorgeous. Maggie is beautiful...so sweet in her tutu! :)

Carole Campanile said...

Great cards Susan. I really love the first one, very creative.

I don't scrap anymore, but wow that is one marvelous page. Something I expect to see in a magazine. Glad you are enjoying the Cameo.

Carole

Lynne said...

Both LiM cards are beautiful Susan, I love the colours in the first one and the inked strip is a great save. The holly one is gorgeous, what a fabulous stamp that is. Love your layout too.
Lynne xxx

Jenny said...

Oh Susan I so love your cards they are both so neat, you needn't have told us about the inky marks..the coloured strip looks like it was meant to be there!
Cute LO too :)
Jenny x

Suze Bain said...

Gorgeous cards Susan, love your inky panels and the holly is coloured beautifully. Fab layout too, how cute is she! xx

Cath Wilson said...

Both really beautiful cards. Love your idea with the punches - great colours - but I also love your C card. It's wonderfully coloured and perfect for Christmas x

Chrissie said...

I just love your leaf cards!
The punched front looks excellent!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Carla said...

I realy love the first card, very clever to use punches! the colours are great.

fatmonica said...

These are beautiful.I just love the colours!

Kim S said...

What a creative idea! I love the leaf window and all of the beautiful colors going on inside of them.

Suzilou said...

Fantastic save on your punched leaf card and it looks amazing. Been eyeing up one of those cutting machines but not sure if I can justify the price :)

Bonnie said...

Punching and inking behind (as well as the other side) really packs a punch! And I love your holly bough! Your granddaugher is just tutu cute! I know you would like to get ahold of her more.

Meggymay said...

Beautiful cards, its a good idea using the leaf punch.
Yvonne x

Canonbury creations said...

What a great idea Susan to use the leaf punch, now why didn't I think of that?:) Love the blinged up holly it's beautiful!
Val x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Susan
Gorgeous cards...Stunning ....and your scrapbook page of your gorgeous grand daughter....she is sooo gorgeous....
HUGS
sYLVIE
XX

Loli said...

Hola Susan, thank you for yours comments, last week was a very busy week for me, i work full time, my house, my son, my family, my iron, my kitche...:D:D, sorry for not post in your blog, but i try to see yours works...
you have really clever ideas Susan, these are very elegant cards, fantastic job, as always, as always, and the T ballerina is...fantastic idea!!!, your granddaughter is beautiful, a bonbon :D:D.
Great job Susan, blessings for your and your family.
A hug from Palma

Rosemary said...

gorgeous, gorgeous cards, susan!! and your layout is just fabby!

A SASSY SCRAPPER said...

What a lovely autumn card, Susan! Love your blog......Patty

Marrigje said...

I love your leave cards. And the title of the layout is brilliant. Thank you for your inspiration.

Kathyk said...

All fab projects

Kathyk

cheryl said...

oh wow these are stunning cards hun really gorgeous detail,and just love your scrapbook page super layout and photos hugs cherylxxxx

Michelle Short said...

Gorgeous card, I love the colours and what a great idea! x

Victoria said...

The punched card is so clever! I only have a circle punch but I'm wondering if it might work for that too - think I know what I'll be doing this afternoon! I think the second card is beautiful too.

Carole said...

Love the three leaves card. Beautiful coloring too. Inky fingers and glue to can cause clever cover ups.
http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

cnelson said...

EVERYTHING you do is just FAB! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ALL these creations! YOU are so talented!!!

Deborah Frings said...

I adore your leaves card - the falling leaves in different sizes - just brilliant. Many congratulations on being Showcased - well deserved!!

Anonymous said...

WOW.
The leaves card is just fantastic! Love your colors and layout! And the holly leaves stamp is gorgeous! :) Your g'daughter sure looks adorable! :)
Hope all is well at your end!

Karen Petitt said...

fabulous cards Susan, especially love the holly design - it just pops beautifully Karen x

Mandi said...

They are both terrific!
The punched detail on the first make for an interesting OL card
Thank you
MAndi LIM

Vicky Hayes said...

Both cards are gorgeous in different ways Susan. I love the three punched leaves with those gorgeous colours and I'm a huge fan of your bright holly too! Congratulations on being showcased AGAIN!!!

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, My you have been busy, beautiful cards and a brilliant LO, great Tutu and pretty Maggie:0) Congratulations on your showcased card Susan it's stunning, Gay xxx

Lisa A. said...

Lovely cards, Susan!! The first is my favorite...right up my alley with the punched leaves...so cool having 3 different sizes!! Love the colors behind the leaves as well!! Congrats on your 2 SHOWCASES!! WAY TO GO, GIRL:)!!

GinaA said...

Both cards are stunning I especially like the cut outs witht he colour behind them, your holly cards is beautiful as well, thats a fab stamp

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Oh, your work is amazing Susan!!!

Love, love, love the layout, she's so precious!

The cards are fantastic with lovely colours and designs.

Enjoy your new toy!

Warm hugs
Maarit

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails