Monday, August 26, 2013

Life Moves on....

It seems that life moves on whether I want it to or not.  Each day the sun rises (and then it rains)...and each evening the sun sets and the moon rises.  One foot in front of the other....that's how I get through each day.  I have been working on a couple of "crafty" items that I thought I'd share with you today since it's been over a month since I last posted.  

One of my granddaughters got engaged a week or two ago, and her excitement is bubbling over.  I've agreed to help make the wedding invitations, but I also wanted to make something special for her. Here's what I've made for her:

This is a quote by Sam Keen.  After my husband passed away a few months ago, I was looking through his Bible one day and found a slip of paper that had been torn from a magazine...and this was the quote on the slip of paper. The quote really speaks volumes to me about love. I thought perhaps our granddaughter would appreciate the story behind this quote.

I made this using my Cameo.  I cut out each of the letters 4 times, then layered them on top of each other to get the dimension I wanted.  To place them on the background piece, I printed the layout I wanted for the letters and then printed them with my wide format printer in a very light grey color. Then all I had to do was adhere the stacked letters over the printed card stock.  The hearts (about 30) were cut from an old dictionary, then I stitched down the middle with the sewing machine.  The top layer of the heart has the definition of "love" on it.  I added the red bling heart, and then decided that I wanted to add a small red border around the white piece, so I cut 1/4 inch off each side so that the verse would stay centered and adhered the white to the red card stock.  I placed it in a black shadow box scrapbook frame that is a 12 x 12 inch shadowbox.

I also have a close friend whose daughter is getting married in October, so I wanted to do something special for her too.  I did another like this only using a verse from the Bible. I printed the "1 Corinthians 13: 7-8 on the card stock (in a darker grey color) at the same time I was printing the placement of the letters.


I used a black shadowbox frame for both of these and I think the black really makes the artwork pop.

I hope the recipients don't think these gifts are tacky...I thought they turned out great, but you never know.  I know that each one of these took me hours to complete.  Adhering all those letter together is a very time consuming task!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments and your visits are always appreciated!! Until next time...
Photobucket


Pin It!

24 comments:

snapdragon said...

Susan... I'm so sorry. I knew something was up but I didn't realize the extent of your loss. From what I have read in your blog, he was a very special man. I would think that your granddaughter would be honored to have that gorgeous quote that meant so much to him.

Your work is beautiful, as always, and I know I would find a special place in my home to display it. Those brides are lucky.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,Lovely to see you have been creating and such beautiful thoughtful items,it's funny-i stopped by your Blog only yesterday and almost said hello,I wish I had now :)
One foot in front of the other-one day at a time,that is all you can do-i'm sure it must be very hard for you at the moment.
Sending you a big hug,Nessa xxxx

Unknown said...

They are beautiful gifts and certainly not tacky.

Ardyth said...

Stunning! These are so beautiful and meaningful and were clearly made with a lot of love! There is absolutely nothing tacky about them. I've been thinking about you and am glad to see you here in the 'blogosphere' - keep taking it a day at a time - we're here waiting for you when you're ready!

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Susan, the wording is simply wonderful and very thought-provoking.
What a great deal of patience you have - it must have taken hours to layer the letters, but it was so worth the time and effort.
It's good to see you blogging again - Hugs, Sylvia xxx

Sandra H said...

Hi Susan, this is so lovely x

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful surprise to see you in my blog reader, my friend! And two beautiful, thoughtful cards! You have so much to share about love. You are so often in my thoughts and always in my prayers.

Darnell said...

It is such a pleasure to see your post, Susan! I so enjoyed our long talk recently. These cards are priceless treasures! The amount of tender loving care that you put into them is remarkable and the girls are so blessed to be receiving your original artwork! I am especially moved by the card for your granddaughter. It's as if it came straight from Butch, through you. Big hugs! Darnell

Kristie Goulet said...

I truly think these gifts are extra special and I know I would be honored to receive them as I know the recipients of them will. So sorry for your loss.

Judy1223 said...

Susan, I think the recipients will absolutely treasure these gifts forever. I know I would! You are in my thoughts and prayers each day... take good care.

Unknown said...

Hello Susan - the two pieces are works of art. Your Grandaughter is going to be so moved that these words come via her beloved Grandfather - what a special gift you've made her. I am sure she will appreciate the amount of work you've put into this and will treasure it forever. Stay strong my friend.

Hugs.

Karen x

debby4000 said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss but it is lovely to see you creating beautiful pieces again.
luv
Debby

Cathy said...

Such beautiful gifts Susan, I'm sure the brides to be will treasure them, Cathy x

Hannelie said...

Susan I am in love with this project!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

How lovely to see you in my Bloglovin. I am so sorry and my heart goes out to you with your loss. As you say life goes on, but no one knows the effort to keep it going. God Bless You. xx

As for your cards, they are wonderful and such a lot of work and thought has gone into them, of course they will be loved.

Loll said...

Hi Susan. Such lovely words for both the projects you made for your granddaughter and your friend's daughter. Very special keepsakes for them.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's passing. May your friends and family help you to find peace at this difficult time.

Loll xx

Canonbury creations said...

Two such personal cards Susan, I love the idea that you have brought to life, words that obviously meant a lot to your husband.
Take care and know that a lot of people are thinking of you:)
Val x

Mrs Harry said...

Hi Susan. So lovely to see your beautiful artwork. You are so brave, my heart goes out to you.

Kim S said...

Oh Susan, what a lovely sign of love from your husband. The beautiful memories shine through on these works of art that are going to be long treasured.

Barb Ghig said...

Hi Susan,
I wanted to stop by to say hello...I've been thinking of you a lot! I really love both cards, and I'm certain the 'Bride's-to-be' will appreciate these beautiful quotes...what a lovely keepsake you have given them!

I hope you have all the love and support you need right now, and that with time, we will be seeing more of your beautiful creations!

Take care...Hugs to you,
Barb Ghig

Kathy W said...

I am so sorry for your loss. These projects leave me speechless; what beautiful works of art and love. Your granddaughter will cherish this gift not only for the labor of love that it is but also for the beautiful and special story that goes behind it.

linda161 said...

Susan, I am so sorry for your loss. Your work is beautiful as always.

MaryH said...

Was so happy to surf by today and see that you had a recent post. I pray that each passing day makes it a tiny bit easier for you. No way will your recipients think these lovely things are tacky! You made a special gift for each person, and what a wonderful verse for each. For your granddaughter, I would think the background story would add so much additional meaning, beyond the fact that her Grandma took time & love to make something so pretty for her special day. It's a gift from both her grandparents, and I'm sure will be a treasure in years to come. TFS & many cyber hugs. Your help with the Kars folder is certainly paying forward! Thanks again for that help.

G Peplow said...

Hello there Susan, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I missed your posts but I am very late visiting sorry :(
These cards are really beautiful. I am sending big hugs to you, Gay xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails