Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trying Some New Things

Here's my first layout from the beach photo shoot with Kimberly's family. I wanted to keep it kind of simple, but I also wanted to try a couple of new things.
I recently purchased the Quickutz Silhouette. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it until this weekend. I found out that I could actually draw my design and then cut it out with the Silhouette! LOVIN' this new toy! I really wanted palm trees for this layout, so I FINALLY got them sketched in the "robo-master" program and saved it as a .gsd file. Let me tell you....I've really learned a LOT this weekend! I made a few mistakes, some things that I'll know not to do the next time.
The sea grass is just very thin strips of paper cut at an angle and adhered to the back of the "sand" base. The sea oats I also cut and then doodled the "oats" on the tips. The sand...now that was a lot of fun. I cut my cardstock in the shape that I wanted, then inked the sand drifts. Then, covered the entire piece with VERY sticky double sided tape. After removing the top of the double sided tape, I coated it with micro beads. Give it an awesome "sand" look! I cut slots for the palm trees to slide into the sand.
The title letters are a font from my computer that I cut at 1/2 inch. I added the journaling strip "between our toes" and finally glued down a few shells.
The clouds were another fun thing I wanted to try. I rounded the end of a makeup sponge, coated it with white ink and just "dabbed" the blue background cardstock for my clouds. The birds are another Silhouette item that I designed. Very simple, but I like the way they turned out.
I really enjoyed putting this together and actually learned a lot in the process. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Come back again soon!
Hugs!!
Susan


Pin It!

7 comments:

Julie Howard said...

All of your hard work certainly paid off. The LO turned out fab!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Love all your clever ideas!!....I had to take a close-up look at your page to take in all the details!! Beautiful work Susan!!

~Gabi xx

Stacey said...

gorgeous!!!! wow I thought it was digital at first! lol
Hope you are doing well girl!!!!

Lynn Biermann said...

Ohhhh so very creative!! I just love what you have done here! Instant inspiration!!

said...

Wow, such amazing details Susan!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy!!

I was hoping to find your version posted about your 'Retreat Weekend'....LOL! Sounds like ya'll had a blast!!

Your beach photos are so spectacular!!! I'm off to check out Tim's blog!

Happy Easter my friend!!

Kimberly said...

Wow!!! Double wow!!!

phamil said...

I think this is just totally beautiful! I love the pics and the beachy feel is perfect!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails