So when I logged on this morning, I see that the Chrissie and Mandi at Less is More have challenged us to create a card with a butterfly...or several butterflies. I love butterflies, so this challenge is right up my alley...so to speak. Or, so I thought! LOL! I thought and thought. Everything I could think of, I've done before. I wanted to do something different! Well, unfortunately, that wasn't as easy as it sounded. Here's the first card I made this morning.
I used a white card base. The butterfly was printed on card stock and cut out. I punched a scalloped edge on the orange and blue layers, then I embossed the orange layer with a SU embossing folder. The sentiment is a Flourishes stamp that I stamped on a tag cut with a Spellbinder die. Then, because the tag was too big, I cut the ends off and sponged a little blue on it, using the die to mask the edges. The bow was tied using a cool little thing my hubby made for me (basically a peg board with movable pegs). I layered the ribbon and then attached the bow with glue dots. I added a little glitter glam to the butterfly for a little sparkle and the trail is some Prima bling I had left over from another project. Not being totally satisfied, I decided to try again. Here's my second card:
The card base is the one I made a few days ago when I was posting a tutorial here on partial embossing, so I thought I'd go ahead and use it. I cut another mask and stamped the flowers using a stamp from Inkadinkado. I colored them with Copics (some yellow and oranges). The butterfly is punched with a MS punch. I doodled some lines with a gold pen, then colored the butterfly with the same colors as the flowers. The sentiment is from Hero Arts. Moving on to the third try.
Super simple card. I embossed a white background. Cut three 1.25 inch squares, and 3 squares measuring .75 inches (which I then backed with a dark brown card stock). I stamped another piece of white card stock with text from PTI, and punched out the butterflies with a MS punch. The large embossed layer is pop-dotted and the brown edged layer is pop-dotted, as well as the butterflies. Lots of dimension on this card. No sentiment...thought I could use it for several different occasions.
I can't say that I'm jumping up and down happy with any of these cards...but these are my cards for this week's challenge.
I also finished a layout today. This is a photo of me and my two girls, when the youngest was about a week old. I used Crate Paper for this layout. I added some flowers with bling centers, a little rickrack, and some hand cut hearts. I backed the hearts with yellow card stock then trimmed around the heart with some scalloped scissors. The red swirls were hand drawn with a red pen. Title work was cut with QK Frankie alphas. The yellow circles border down the right side of the red dot paper was cut with a QK die and then I layered red rickrack down the center of it. I added lots of doodling on the edges.
Journaling was printed on the computer and added to the bottom.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Thanks for all the wonderful comments! Until next time....