Saturday, April 16, 2011

LIM 11 - Let's use Acetate

What a great idea...let's use acetate!  This is the challenge that has been presented to us by Chrissie and Mandi this week at Less is More.  I hear that we're now being called the LIMettes.  T-shirts and pom-poms will surely be next! You don't want to miss out, so you probably should hurry up and finish your card for this week's challenge and get it posted over there!  Well, I've completed a card...but I'm not too sure how I like it. I might just end up making another one this week...we'll see.


For my card this week, I used Papertrey Ink's Friendship Jar and filled it with gumballs also from Papertrey Ink's Friendship Jar Fillers.  I stamped my jar and lid on acetate with black Stazon ink.  I cut out a large rectangle around the jar, and cut the lid out close to the edges.  I embossed a piece of white card stock with a Cuttlebug large dot embossing folder Seeing Spots.  Using my largest rectangle Spellbinder die, I cut the center out of the embossed piece and set it aside.  I stamped the jar again on the card front with Memento's black ink, and stamped the gumballs inside the jar with the Memento black.  I colored the gumballs with several different colored Copic markers. (Drew a line to ground the jar...you know I have to have my images grounded! LOL!)  I then placed the image of the jar on the acetate on top of the image stamped on the card and adhered the embossed piece to the acetate, so that my images would be right on top of each other.  I adhered the lid to the jar (which is also stamped on acetate) at an angle on top of the jar.  I added a little shading with a light gray Copic marker.  The sentiment is from the same Friendship Jar Fillers collection. I stamped it on white, punched it out with a 1 inch punch and then punched a 1 1/4 inch red circle to back it. I used foam tape to raise the acetate and embossed layer off the card front. The "candy 5¢" tag is also popped up with foam tape.  I added a doodled dashed line around the edges of the tag.



I've added a close up shot taken from the side to try to show the depth on the card.  From the front of the card, you can see that it looks like one stamped image, but here you can see the lines behind the acetate (I hope!)

Thanks so much for stopping by and I truly appreciate all the wonderful comments!  Until next time...

Hugs!!


Pin It!

49 comments:

Maureen said...

This looks good enough to eat, yummy, well done.
Maureen...........x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Brilliant! Lx

Bea said...

What a fun card - makes me want some sweets!!

Lynne said...

Wow susan, this is fantastic. It must have taken you ages but the work has certainly paid off. Wonderful!!!
Lynne xxx

Jen said...

Fantastic image, what a great use of acetate.
jenjoy x

TAM said...

Brilliant card

Mandi said...

How FAB, very different and creative
Good work LIMette Susan! lol
Love how the lid of the jar extends form the frame
Have a good week
mandi
Less is More

Jan said...

Fab card xx Jan

Erica said...

I love how you framed the candy jar, set the lid ajar and added the 5 cents circle. It has all the right touches to make it original.

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Now this is a clever use of acetate.... Susan you are a genius. Love this card.

Ali x

Tara Cardwell said...

ingenious use of the dreaded acetate!

Rosemary said...

what a fantastic card, susan!! so incredibly clever!!

jimlynn said...

So cute - and clever! Love it.
Lynn

Jenny said...

Brilliant card Susan, it's fun and different and I like that :)
Wonder what it would look like if the embossed panel was a colour picked out from the gumballs?? Just a thought, love it anyway :)
Jenny x

Brenda R said...

Susan, I just love what you did with the jar and gumballs. Great idea! I have never heard of using acetate on a card before this challenge, so I will have to think about it a while longer..

Colleen said...

Beautiful card, Susan! Love how the embossed frame mimics the gumballs . . . genius!
Hugs,
Colleen

Chrissie said...

My goodness Susan, your imagination and creativeness have worked overtime on this fabby card!
SO inventive and so effective!
Thanks so much!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, great card, love the sweetie idea and you've got lots of depth, brilliant:0) xxx

Shirley said...

Brilliant card Susan, such a fun way to use acetate.

Kathyk said...

Now this was a fun and fab idea Susan

Kathyk

Dolly Daydreams said...

I love this ! What a clever idea to to the lid in acetate, and love the corresponding embossing around the edges.

Marie

Meggymay said...

Great card, love your sweet jar.

Jane F. Smith said...

you are way to hard on yourself!!! Love this card!!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

This is just SO Cute! I like how the large polka dots impressed on your frame are picked up with the 'gumballs' inside the jar. Excellent jar!

Sue said...

A great card Susan. I love how many different ideas people are coming up with for this one. Sue.x

Carole Campanile said...

Fabulous Susan. I just knew you'd knock this one out of the ball park. What a prefect medium for the jar stamp.

Wonderful card. Simply wonderful!!
TFS
Carole

massofhair said...

Susan, think you have a winner here. Stunning card and loving your idea of a candy jar. You have great depth to your creation and love all the bright colours.
Such an outstanding creation:-)

Dori said...

hi Susan, love the sweetie jar and the way the circles in the embossed surround, echo the sweets in the jar. lovely!

Susie Sugar said...

Such a fun card I love the bright colours against the embossed white
Hugs Susie Sugar xx

Michelle said...

Such a great card I love it.

Hugs
Michelle

Bonnie said...

What a great idea for a tough challenge! The acetate makes the jar look like glass! You've outdone yourself this week!

Kathleen said...

Great idea and a great card. Very well done.

Kath x

Vicky Hayes said...

I love this Susan! It's a great idea for a start and then all those little details - lid at an angle, shadowbox effect etc - make it truly special.

Diane said...

Wonderful idea......and a beautiful card.....love the embossing around the edge, too...perfect.....and I have this stamp and die and have never used it...you have inspired me to do so!

ThinkInk Creative said...

That lid was an unexpected bit of fun....as if to tempt into getting some lollies. Great work Susan.

cheers,
Malyn at ThinkInkCreative

June Houck said...

Susan, this is really creative and fun! There are so many little details that are pure genius: thee lid askew AND colored a little gray for added dimension, the tracing around the jar to "ground" (I like that term!), and framing it with Seeing Spots (mimics the gumballs). GREAT card! I like your style :)

Erika said...

Susan love how you've used the acetate and all the great yummy colours. Great card.

Chris said...

Brilliant card...Chrissieann

Crafting Belle said...

I really like your card, simple but so effective xxx

Suze Bain said...

Susan this is fab. Great technique on the sweetie jar and love the embossed border. x

Linby said...

Lovely card, I like the way the embossing echoes the sweets.
Linbyx

Aileen said...

Great job Susan. A lot of thought involved here and what a terrific result. x

kay said...

totally awesome,the best use of acetate i have seen,x

nicky said...

Great card
Nicky

Maureen said...

Love this, such a clever idea!

Unknown said...

Goodness me, such a brilliant card. It looks so simple (from the sounds of it not so simple to make!)but so effective! Sarah

Carol said...

I love your card, Susan! It is just so much fun...I feel like I really am in a candy shop! I love all those bright, colorful candies!

Jose said...

What a brilliant idea, and so colourful, love what you have even done with the lid.
Jose

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Brilliant idea and I love the card.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails