Thursday, April 7, 2011

OLW48 - Sympathy

The challenge this week for our one layer Wednesday card from Susan at Simplicity is to make a one layer sympathy card (hoping I don't need it!) but there can be no flowers or trees.  I didn't realize that most of my stamps are flowers and trees! Now, there's a problem! LOL!  I finally found these seashell stamps that are some of the first stamps I ever bought from Stampin Up.  I don't even think they've seen ink that often.


I stamped the long small stamp first, then masked it and stamped the large shell, masked both shells and finally stamped the sand dollar behind both of them.  I must admit I practiced about 4 or 5 times before I found an arrangement that I liked.  When I finished stamping, the shells looked kind of barren and lonely, so I shaded them slightly with my Copics (pink and several browns).  Then they looked like they were floating, so I colored a bit with my Copics in a light, light pink under the shells, then sponged some ink around the bottom of the shells too.  A final touch was to add a few brown lines with Copics and then highlighting the brown lines with my white Signo pen.  I did have to re-make the card once because I stamped the sentiment and managed to get a big blob of ink on the background!  All in all, I'm kinda happy with the way it turned out, and it'll be good to have a sympathy card on hand...hoping I won't need it!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments brighten my day! Have a fabulous day....Until next time...

Hugs! 



Pin It!

25 comments:

Kim S said...

I love your process in creating this card!! Add a little here, color a little there... and it all came together beautifully!

Valerie-Jael said...

The card has turned out very well, love how you have coloured and shaded so delicately! Valerie

Deb said...

wow, amazing stamping, love the placement of all these images!
Happy Crafting, Debxx

jimlynn said...

Simply STUNNING! Love this.
Lynn

Suze Bain said...

Lovely card Susan, the images are coloured beautifully. x

Rosemary said...

well.... WOW!!! what a gorgeous card, susan!!

Deborah Frings said...

Susan - this is love. I really like the way you have created your image, and the colouring is fabulous. You nailed this challenge!

Heather T said...

Your colouring is gorgeous, Susan. You've created a lovely serene sympathy card.

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, you've made a brilliant card! As you say it's a very difficult subject and a real challenge to get right but I think you've made a very sensitive and elegant card.
I know exactly what you mean about ink blots for me it's fingers on the ink pad that do it every time, it's a real pain. Thank you for your kind comments on my card:0) xxx

Jenny said...

What a beautiful image for a sympathy card. Such delicate shading too.
Jennie X

Colleen said...

What a beautiful sympathy card, Susan. Great coloring. I too hope you won't need it.

Hugs,
Colleen

Bonnie said...

Aaah! Susan, another winner! Beautifully colored and all the elements perfectly placed to make a stunning scene!

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you in Crestview today. I can tell from your blog that not only are you a great scrapper, but a great stamper. Your creations are beautiful. I will use your blog for inspiration. Thanks, Cindy

Lisa A. said...

This is beautiful, Susan!! I thought this was one stamp...wow...great job with masking...just lovely!!!

fatmonica said...

What a great card.The shells are perfect and I love the colours you've used.

debby4000 said...

Fabulous, beautiful card.
luv
Debby

ThinkInk Creative said...

I do love your commentary; almost feels like I was watching you do it and the uh-oh moment of the ink blob - something that's happened to us all. :-)

Lovely card. Fantastic execution of techniques.

cheers,
Malyn

Carole Campanile said...

WOW, you really put a lot of work into your card, and it definitely shows. Very beautiful and very soothing; which all sympathy cards should be.

Sorry to hear about the last minute ink blotch. I would have broken down into tears if I did all the coloring (which I can't do; Copics and I do not get along) only to have to start over because of an ink drop. Actually I probably would have cheated and cut the shells out and pasted down ... only after doing the sentiment without error. haha.

Again, lovely card, your coloring is fabulous.

kingstonmama said...

I really love this card, Susan. Your trio of shells is lovely and the coloring is so soft and pretty.

Carol Cel said...

Amazing! You put so much work into this, and you mad it look like one stamp. Beautiful!

Carol said...

Oh! You did good on this one! LOVE this card...your masking and coloring is just so perfect! And the ground looks so real.....it is all just so perfect! Love that sentiment...mind sharing who it is by? Was it part of the SU set? Inquiring minds want to know!

Linby said...

Such a beautiful card.
I made a sympathy card last week just because I had only just bought the stamp. Unfortunately I did need it this week....
Linbyx

Pauline said...

What a lovely card. I loved your process in making it. The shells are perfect and the coloring wonderful. I was interested to see that I am not the only one who has to try several times to get the card I want. TFS
Hugs
Pauline H.

Erica said...

This is a lovely card. Shells are perfect for the sad occasion.

Susan Raihala said...

You SHOULD be pleased with how this turned out...it's wonderful. The sand is particularly fabulous; the white signo is a stroke of pure genius!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails