Saturday, July 9, 2011

LIM23 - Something with Legs

This week our Less is More challenge is once again, a one layer card.  A one layer card is one piece of card stock folded in half with no additional layers and minimal embellishments, where the image is stamped or printed directly onto the card stock.  I'm beginning to think that one layer cards are my favorite cards.  A big plus is that they are so easy to mail...no bulk! 


This week I've made three very different cards for the challenge.  I've posted them all in this one post so that it's easier for others to leave comments without having to come to my blog three or four times during the week.  I know I struggle to leave comments for everyone, and now that the challenge has grown so much, sometimes it's just not possible to get around to all the cards and leave a little luv for you. Working for a living seriously cuts into my "free" time! LOL!  

Okay...enough babble...here's my cards for this week's challenge:


This first card is actually the last card I made and I think perhaps it's my favorite of the three.  I masked off an area just above the center of the card and sponged it with some distress ink.  Then I tore a piece of post it paper and sponged the edges of it to give the blue a feeling of clouds.  The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink, and the butterfly (it does have legs...you just can't see them)..is from Flourishes. 


This next card is the first card I made this week and I think the frogs are just adorable! The stamps are Penny Black stamps.  The sentiment is computer generated using Baby Boston font.  I colored the frogs, lily pad and water with Prisma pencils and then blended with OMS.


This is actually the second card I made today. The silhouette stamp is a Close to My Heart stamp. I stamped the image in Memento's black. I punched a large circle and tore a piece of post it for the ground and placed them over the image.  I sponged the ground with some green Memento ink and around the circle with some blue distress ink and a touch of purple distress ink.  Sentiment is from Papertrey Ink.

Sharing another layout with you today. This is a photo of my hubby when he was about 2 years old. 


Photo of my hubby taken sometime around 1938. I used My Mind's Eye Stella Rose "Hattie" papers for this layout. The doily embellies were stamped with the MME stamps that match this paper and his name and the year were handwritten in the center of the doilies. The bicycle is a TH stamp added to a 2 inch circle punch and a 2 inch scalloped punch. I made the tassel hanging from the tag with some navy pearl cotton thread. I did quite a bit of inking and doodling on this layout too. The journaling was added to a tag that I tucked behind the photo and reads: 

This is a photo of Butch when he was about two years old. He’s riding his first “bike” at the house that his Grandpa Goetter built for his family sometime around 1938. Butch told me that the house didn’t have running water (and probably didn’t have indoor plumbing!) and that all water was brought in from a well outside that had the big old-fashioned hand pump. Hearing these stories from Butch really makes me appreciate running water and indoor plumbing!  

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated! Until next time....

Hugs!



Pin It!

64 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

I love all your cards, as always, Susan but I am really drawn to the frogs as I used to collect them as a child (pot ones not real ones!) I've kept a few but had to get rid of the rest to make room for craft stuff!
Tara x

Rosemary said...

boy susan... not one, but three incredible cards for the challenge and a really cool layout as a bonus!!

Shelley Starkis said...

These are beautiful as always Susan. I especially love the first one!
Love Shell

ninarsku said...

Oh, I love the first one with butterfly, just a brilliant text there!

Carol said...

Three wonderful cards Susan but I think the first is my favourite. Love seeing your layouts too each week. Carol x

Kim S said...

These are each so different but wonderful in their own way!

Erica said...

I love butterflies, frogs and of course, people, so no picking faves...AGAIN! These are each one beautiful. I gotta get crackin'.

Carla said...

They are all lovely, but the butterfly is my favourite

Paula Whittaker said...

fab cards

Deborah Frings said...

Susan - you really have nailed this challenge. I'm with you, I think my favourite is the butterfly one - largely because the sentiment is so lovely. The butterfly one is perfect for this week's OLW challenge too! The frogs are just so cute! The silhouette stamp is lovely.
Just love the layout too - thanks for sharing.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the cards, and the LO is great! Valerei

cheryl said...

oh hun what a super set of cards,these are all brilliant hun especially love the first one,and as for your layout that is stunning,fab photo and great choice of papers,hugs cherylxx

Ang C said...

Beautiful cards and a lovely scrapbook page too

Kathyk said...

Four great projects from you this week - love card two and card three particularly

Kathyk

Loli said...

Hola Susan, thank you for your visit last week.
FANTASTIC WORK!!!beautiful cards i love all them, you're an artist.
a hug from Palma

Suze Bain said...

I just love those frogs but the butterfly card is beautiful. Fabulous scrapbook page. xx

Beryl K said...

The stunning cards Susan, the sentiment on the first one is beautiful. Great lo too
Beryl x

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Fabulous cards susan and a wonderful LO

Ali x

Jan said...

These are all gorgeous Susan xx Jan

Michelle said...

All lovely cards, Susan, but the first is my favourite too. Great colouring, great sentiment, and I always love a butterfly.
Michelle.

Maureen said...

Lovely set of cards, well done. I love the froggy one.
Maureen..........x
You can view mine here.

Sandra H said...

More stunning cards (Mr Blogger is playing up again this is my 3rd time he has let me down hopefully it will be okay now) Sandra H

Meggymay said...

Fabulous set of cards, it would be hard to chose a favourite. Yvonne x

Chrissie said...

Three fabulous cards Susan but the inking on the first one is simply superb and I think that has to be my fave... plus I love that sentiment!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Jo Street said...

What a fab set of cards, I think I like the couple on the bench the best, love the stamp. They are all lovely.
JO x

Janelle said...

Such great cards -- all three. The clouds on the first one had me mesmerized -- love the sky look you created. Nice layout, too. My dad also grew up in a house with no indoor plumbing... although I seem to remember that there was a pump at the kitchen sink. At least you didn't have to go outside to fetch the water! :) Happy Sunday to you!

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, 3 fabulous cards, my favourite is the butterfly but all are wonderful:0) Your LO of your husband is just brilliant what fabulous memories, fancy having to build your own home! Gosh I'd be in a shack, LOL Gay xxx

Pauline said...

Beautiful cards Susan, lovely layout too.

G Peplow said...

Hi Susan, The stamp is available from Art Journey Stamps, Belgium, if you do a search (google etc) they pop up, have fun, Gay xxx

Dolly Daydreams said...

Wow Susan all three cards are gorgeous and beautifully crafted lots of lovely masking and stamping, all three so different. Great layout too happy memories.

Marie

lililindsay said...

3 fabulous cards. I can see that we both have a love of masking. Thanks for your kind words about my frogs/toads. You had me a little perplexed as I couldn't see "our" card in the thumbnails at LIM. Great minds!
Lilian

Lynne said...

I always look forward to seeing your cards Susan. I am never disappointed. All three are fabulous but I just love the frogs.
Lynne xxx

Mandi said...

Fantastic cards Susan
Love them all!
I think the frogs appeal to me the most
Thanks very much
Diva LIM
"Less is More"

Hazel said...

I think all three cards are fabulous. At first I decided I preferred number two with the frogs but then when I looked again, I don't think I can choose, all three are perfect. Hazel x

Isabelle Norris said...

Love your cards Susan, all of them, but I'm with ya, the first one is my favourite too because of that fantabulous cloud effect you did. Love it.
Stunning Scrapbook page too. You should join us at STS (http://scrapthemesketch.blogspot.com/), it's fun and I always make sure the PDF sent every month is in English too ;)
Email me if you are interested
Isa x

Kathleen said...

Once again some fabulous entries from you, Love everyone of them.

Kath x

Bonnie said...

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be reallly hard! But that butterfly card is amazing! I'm really impressed with the sentiment. It is stamped so perfectly!

Michellem said...

WOW - You are a LIM overachiever!! Great job - I love the first one best too - something about those clouds and the butterfly are just stunning together!!

fatmonica said...

A fabulous set of cards!I love them all but my eyes are drawn to the butterfly-love that colouring behind it.

Jenny said...

Three fantastic cards Susan, I love the sentiment on the first and the inked panel is brilliant.
Fab LO and love the story details behind it :)
Jenny x

Aileen said...

All brill. I like your first one, it's very stylish and your stamping is perfect but I also like the frogs, they're fun. Another great scrapbook page too. x

Margaret said...

Love them all Susan but adore those cute little frogs!
Margaret x

massofhair said...

Fantastic set of cards Susan, loving the butterfly one very much as it's my favourite colour. The children silhouette card is adorable.
Always love your work, thanks for your comment:-)

Lisa Jane said...

Fab cards ,...
i love the little froggies the best lol
Lisa x

Linda said...

Hi Susan. Another set of beautiful cards and scrapping! I soo look forward to seeing your cards :). The butterfly does it for me...I love the sentiment!

TFS
Linda

Jane said...

Fab cards, I really like the frogs, they are so cute, love the effects and the sentiment on your first card.

froebelsternchen said...

gorgeous work !!!

Sarn said...

WOW - just LOVE your LiM challenge cards. Love the sponging technique you mentioned on the butterfly card, but simply adore those wonderful frogs too! Can't decide between them. They're both equally brillian, but for different reasons.

Thanks for visiting me.

Hugs, Sandra

Jac’s Playground said...

WOW! 3 amazing cards, all beautifully made, my fave has to be the butterflyone its so peaceful. x

Mrs.B said...

Three great cards, and like you I like the first one - love the sentiment you have used.
Avril

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

3 Fabulous cards Susan, can't choose between them, I love your scrapbook layout too.

Diane Louise J said...

Gorgeous cards, but my favourite has to be the first one... the sentiment is beautiful xx

Sally said...

Beautiful cards Susan & my fave is the little frogs card, such a cute stamp.
Sally x

Ruth M said...

Your cards are all lovely Susan! The sponging on the first card is amazing!

Viv said...

Just seen the rest of your cards now,( left a comment earlier on one) they all look great, my fav this week is the first one, excellent as always :O) Viv xx

Vicky Hayes said...

Your cards are always lovely Susan. The first is a real stunner and I love the sentiment.

Linby said...

I love the background effect you have achieved on the first card. All great as always, hard to choose a fav.
I actually went into work on Monday thinking, i don't have time for this LOL!
Linbyx

downrightcrafty said...

wow gorgeous creations love the first one such a soft feel and of course I love the frogs I will let Ribbit know he has some friends in the challenge and thank you so much for your kind comment
Hugs Kate xx

Sue - said...

Three fabulous cards

Zoe Tant said...

I like them all, but my fav is the first with gorgeous sentiment, flutterby and colouring. Zx

Wishcraft said...

All fabulous cards Susan. I think the last one with the lovely silhouette is my favourite though :o) Lisa x

Sue said...

Three fantastic cards my favorite is the frogs Luv Sue x

Sally H said...

All of your cards are gorgeous, Susan, but like you the first is my favourite. Love the effect of the sponging - very sky like

Jean said...

I love the butterfly card , really pretty. Jean x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails