Friday, October 8, 2010

One Layer Wednesday 23 - Heavy Metal

The challenge this week at Simplicity was to make a card using something metallic on the card. Well, naturally, I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do, so I ended up making five different cards. Some I used the same stamp on, but kept trying different things. I think I ending up liking this first card best.

(You can click on the images to see them bigger)

I used Flourishes white cardstock for the base. The ornament is a Hero Arts stamp that I colored with my Copic pens. The metal on this card is the ornament top that I colored with a gold leafing pen and the line I drew across the base of the ornament to ground it. The sentiment is from PTIs Christmas sentiments.

The leaf card is just very simple. I added two metallic leaves from my stash, and then three red bling for berries. The sentiment is from the PTI Christmas sentiments. The next card is my least favorite of all the cards I made. I don't really like the border drawn in red. I think it distracts from the stamped image. The Santa face is a Delta stamp that I picked up at Michaels last year. The metal on this is the gold leafing I used for his glasses, and I added silver sparkles to the snowflakes and his beard.

These last two cards are also using the Santa stamp. I colored the face of Santa with copic pens and tried to make him have rosy cheeks. The glasses are highlighted with the gold leafing pen, and then I added Glossy Accents to make the glasses lens. For the first one, I cut a rectangle from the front of the card, then stamped the image on the inside of the card. Then edged the outside frame with a gold leafing pen. The sentiment is an old, old stamp...don't know who makes it. The last card was prepared the same...stamp wise...but then I added a gold border with the gold leafing pen. The sentiment is a Stampin Up stamp, I believe.

As you can see, I'm really getting a head start on my Christmas cards this year. If I can keep up the pace, I'll be finished before Thanksgiving! YAY!

Thanks for stopping by...I appreciate your comments. Which one of these cards do you like the best? I'd love to get your feedback! Until next time....

Hugs!



Pin It!

13 comments:

Beverly Bishop said...

Susan, it's hard to make a choice (they're all so pretty) but I think I'd go for the Santa in the rectangle. TFS.

Triasimite

C said...

I'm thinking I like the first one the best...at least for Christmas. They're all super. Thanks for the visit to my blog!

Wishcraft said...

Great cards... I like the first one, but I think my favourite is your least favourite (typical, I have to be awkward!), I think Santa looks fab with the red border. Thanks for your lovely comment on my card :o) Lisa x

The Other Patti Sue said...

OMGosh you've been one busy lady! These are ALL amazing!

Jackie said...

Oh wow, I love all of them.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment :o)
Jackie xx

jimlynn said...

ALL are just super! Love that clean and simple look - yet so elegant.
Lynn

A Consuming Passion said...

What dedication!!! Five cards.....I love your first card, with the line through the image...great! Got to say though I love the Santa image you used and coloured, the 3rd of which is my fav. Like you I like the idea of frames with sentiments tacked in but have a terrible time with rulers and ink!!!! Waltzingmouse have just released a great 'Frame It' stamp though... itt made first on my buy list for this reason!!!

cnelson said...

wow Susan! These are all just gorgeous!

Susan Raihala said...

Awesome collection of cards, Susan! My fave is the first, too, but they are all delightfully CAS and pretty!

Rosemary said...

WOW!!! you made five cards??!! and they are all great, but i really LOVE the first one with the ornament!! gorgeous!

Deborah Frings said...

Susan - brilliant set of 5!! cards. I have the Santa stamp too, and he's just lovely. I think my favourite card is the last one with the gold frame around the card edge. But I do like the bauble too!!
Regards, Deborah

Doris said...

Love your cards! The red outlined Santa is my favorite, so I'm glad you posted it.

Anonymous said...

I think I have to agree with you, I like the first one best as well. That red ornament just makes the whole card pop!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails