Thursday, May 10, 2012

OLW87 - Outside the "Box"

I haven't been able to play in the One Layer Wednesday challenge for a while, but this week I managed to get three cards finished!  The challenge this week is hosted by Jennifer at Styles Ink and she has challenged us to create a card that is not a square or rectangle...so here we go....


I guess my first card could be construed as a rectangle, but I choose to think of it as shaped card.  I cut it out using my largest die in this Spellbinder's label set.  To leave a fold at the top of the card, I just positioned the die so that the folded edge was below the cutting edge at the top of the die.  I've chosen to draw my designs this week and the only stamping on any of my cards is the sentiments.  The sentiment for this card is from PTI.  I drew my tangles with a black micron pen, then added some color with Prismacolor pencils.  I've been wanting to try coloring my tangles for a while, because I've seen some beautiful tangles with color added and I was determined that I would figure it out! LOL!  I've used quite a few different colors and done a lot of layering, blending, and shading with the colored pencils. After I finished this first card, I was hooked on adding color! I love how this turned out!


For my second card, I chose to use a scalloped Spellbinder die and using the same method, I cut the die leaving a fold at the top of the card.  For this card I stamped the sentiment from PTI, then added my tangles and coloring.  I didn't get it quite centered on the card...but hey, I tried! 


I guess you could say this third card is REALLY out of the box!  I used my large scalloped banner die from Spellbinders and cut my card using the same method as those above to have the fold at the top.  I stamped my sentiment from PTI on the top near the fold, then drew my tangles around the sentiment.  I had a hard time figuring out if I wanted this in a portrait or landscape orientation because it won't stand up either way.  The red/pink area was drawn using the tangle Nzeppel.  After I finished this card and looked at it for a minute, I decided that the Nzeppel reminded me of a stained glass window.  

I must say, I've really gotten into coloring my tangles...and I'm loving the results!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate all your wonderful comments and that you took the time to leave me a comment!  Until next time...

Hugs!
Photobucket


Pin It!

18 comments:

Carla said...

Susan, all 3 are great, but the first one is the best for me, so colourfull

Sue Clark said...

Gorgeous, all three! I don't always have the time to comment, but wanted you to know that I always love your cards! The color on these is beautiful.

Deborah Frings said...

Wow! Wow! I absolutely love all three of your cards - the colourful tangles are just wonderful. So creative! Great work!

Canonbury creations said...

Fabulous as usual Susan, love all the different shapes!
Val x

Ardyth said...

WOW! These are amazing. I love your ability to draw these and then the colour just brings them to life! Have to admit that a triangle card never occured to me, but now you have me thinking...... (always a dangerous thing!)

Heidi said...

Oh love them all but 1st one I think is fave followed closely by the stained glass window on the bottom one. heidi

Stamps and Paper said...

Three fabulous cards Susan my favourite one is the first one such wonderful colours on all your cards

Anne

Tara Cardwell said...

Wow, wow and wow again Susan! Those coloured tangles are are just spectacular - I love your B&W ones but the coloured ones are something else.
Tara x

Bonnie said...

WOW! And WOW! And again WOW! These are really pretty colored, Susan! WOW!

Laura said...

Absolutely beautiful.... I think the first one is my favorite. Amazing color!!

Darnell said...

Your designs and your coloring are superb, Susan! How nice to be able to sit down and make a beautiful card without stamps or a computer! You're an amazing artist and an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Hi Susan thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving lovely comment.Great cards creations!

cnelson said...

BEA*U*TI*TUL!

Anne said...

Whew what a stunning batch of cards, love that coloured tangle!
Anne
x

Vicky Hayes said...

You are so creative Susan! My favourite is the second card with the sentiment in that extraordinary frame.

Aileen said...

Your designs are gorgeous. x

LauraJane:) said...

CRAZY fun ZEN card!!

Karen Lynn said...

These are just lovely! Your use of color is fantastic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails