Friday, May 18, 2012

OLW88 - 2 x 2

This week, the One Layer Wednesday challenge is hosted by Heather Telford at Bits and Pieces. You should visit Heather's blog...it is filled with gorgeous creations!  Heather's challenge to us this week is to keep it small;  to create a mini masterpiece. Your stamped image area has to be no larger than 2″ by 2″. You can add a sentiment outside that if you like. You can choose one stamp or a few stamps or mask off a 2″x2″ area like me if you like, just keep it within the limits.  What a super challenge....had to put the thinking cap on for this one. 


For this first card, I masked of a 2 x 2 area and sponged in a background using three different colors of DI (peeled paint, spun sugar, and tumbled glass).  Then I stamped with a stamp from SU Pocket Silhouettes, added a few dots from a TH stamp, then stamped my butterfly (Hero Arts).  I stamped the SU and TH images with HA wet cement ink (it's kind of a light grey).  The butterfly was stamped with Mementos black, then I colored him in with TH distress markers to coordinate with the background inking.  The sentiment is from Flourishes.  Then, unable to leave well enough alone..I added a bit of glamour dust to the butterfly's wings.  I like how this turned out.


My second card for this challenge is a bit different.  I masked off the 2 x 2 area, then stamped my butterfly (HA) in the center of the square.  Using a black micron pen, I filled in the background with lots and lots of circles (doing a little tangling here!).  I colored the background and the butterfly with Prismacolor pencils and used a colorless blender pencil to smooth out the colors.  Then, just because I can, I decided to add just a touch of glitter to the butterfly wings....so cool!  The sentiment if from PTI and is stamped in black.

That's it for me...Thanks a million for stopping by!  I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and leave me a comment!  Until next time....

Hugs!
Photobucket


Pin It!

15 comments:

Suze Bain said...

Beautiful cards Susan, the first one is so delicate and the second so vibrant - love your tangled bubbles! xx

G Peplow said...

Both are totally gorgeous Susan, you nailed the challenge:0) xxx

Kim S said...

Mini MASTERPIECES! They are each lovely!

Loli said...

Hola Susan, thank you for your comment last week:D
Fantastic butterflies, the backgrounds are fantastic coloured, but i think you're the queen of the zentangle,WONDERFUL creations!!!.
A hug from cloudy island

cnelson said...

Absolutely STUNNING! LOVE!

bonnie32002 said...

Oh my! I love them both. I just recently heard about Zentagle so your 2nd butterfly sample it a timely sample for me!

Sandra H said...

So beautiful Susan as always your creations are gorgeous:)x

Karen Petitt said...

Both of these are really beautiful Susan. I really like the second one as it reminds me of micro mosaics hugs Karen x

Deborah Frings said...

Susan - these are just so beautiful. I love both butterflies and the touch of shimmer on their wings. Great work.

Jenny said...

These are wonderful Susan, I love the mosaic zentangle...it looks like piece of ceramic tile :0)
Jenny x

kingstonmama said...

These are lovely, Susan. I really love the doodling you added to the second one. That, combined with the striking color combination, really make it special. :) Ann

Anonymous said...

Butterflies work beautifully for this challenge. I love both your colour schemes and techniques.
Heather T

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

gorgeous gorgeous

Bumblebee said...

Your first card is so lovely, but that second card...AMAZING! I was wondering what background stamp you have used over your butterfly, but to have tangled that is fantastic. The colours just pop, and everything works together so well. Thanks for sharing!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Love that second butterfly square. Your doodling adds such a different look.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails