Monday, March 4, 2013

AS IF.....

As if I don't have enough to keep me busy, I decided recently to learn to knit socks.  I learned how to knit when I was a teenager...many, many moons ago.  Basically, I just learned to knit and purl, and have made several afghans, a couple of simple sweaters, and a few scarves....but I saw a pattern for some socks, and thought...."I can learn to do this!"  Not so easy, it turns out.  I watched numerous videos, read several different patterns, and then set out to make my first pair of socks.  My first "sample sock" was made with the wrong type of thread....seems that wool is the best choice for socks...and it should be fingering weight (what the heck is fingering weight?!?)  It was long process, but I finally finished my first "pair" of socks.  Here's how they turned out:


YAY!!! I did it!  I wasn't really crazy about the way the ankle part of the socks looked, even though they do fit my feet, I thought I'd like a longer ribbing.....so I set off to make another pair.


I like the full ribbing better on this pair, but I think I still have a ways to go before my stitches get more even and smooth.  I was hoping to get quite a few pairs knitted up and perhaps use them as Christmas gifts this year.  What do you think....would that make a nice gift?


Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments and your visits are always appreciated!! Until next time...

Hugs!

Photobucket


Pin It!

10 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

well as someone who can't knit to save her life these look blinking amazing to me! What a thing to teach yourself!!!
Tara
x

Darnell said...

Of course they would make awesome Christmas gifts! Who doesn't wear socks? I'm no knitter, but they look perfect and fabulous to me! Way to go, Susan!!

Sandra H said...

They are fantastic xx

Suze Bain said...

Very impressive Susan, love the look of the variegated stripy ones. I'm no knitter, could maybe just about manage plain and purl but these look quite complicated. Well done. Xx

Anonymous said...

Hi susan!!There is definitely something about the sock patterns and beautiful sock yarns that calls to you to try it out......i've bought the needles and yarns but never started any. You have inspired me to go ahead and try!! The pretty striped one you did -- loVE it!! I think they will make GREAT gifts -- awesome idea!! Great job!!
Belle

Unknown said...

Wow Susan, what a multitude of talents you have! And now add knitting to the pot.........love your stripey ones, probably because they look quirky - I'm sure they would be well received as presents; especially with the effort that has gone into them. Hmmmm, I can just see it in lights....."Susan's Sock Store" - has a nice ring to it eh? lol

Karen x

sandyh said...

i love socks....one of my quirks! i think these look great! and yes,hand knitted socks would make a nice present!
sandyh

Bonnie said...

I think handmade socks would be a perfect Christmas gift. Nothing like a warm, cozy pair of socks to warm you up!

Skye said...

I think they would make the perfect Christmas present. Don't worry your stitches they will even out. I found all wool socks wore out very quickly. I used to knit with a blend of wool about 90% and 10% nylon. Happy knitting

Chriss Blagrave said...

Awesome socks, both pairs! I am a knitter too, but I am not as brave as you! ❤️

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails