Friday, March 22, 2013

Zentangle Challenge #110 - Outside the box

I haven't had time to play along with Laura's Zentangle challenge at I am the Diva in quite a while...well, technically, I've played along some of the time, just never got my tangles posted.  This week's challenge is to:

"find something way out of your comfort box.  If you shy away from colour, now is a good time to try it... if you always do something small, try something big.  If you always do a larger piece, try a few teeny tiny ones.  Maybe you've never tried a zendala. Maybe you've never tangled an object and those bookends have been staring at you saying: "TANGLE ME"..."

So, that's what I did.  I had purchased a few ceramic tiles from Home Depot months ago thinking that I would make some coasters with decoupage, but I never got around to it...then when I saw this challenge, I thought I'd try doing a few tangles on a tile.  I think I probably will have to heat set it in the oven or something...not sure what...to keep the pen from smudging off (even though I used a microperm pen from Sakura)...I'd hate for it to smudge!  Anyway, I digress...here's my tile for this week's "out of the box" challenge.  This first one was taking with the tile lying flat.


This second one I stood the tile on one edge to take the photo.


I couldn't figure out how to do any shading, so I'll have to leave them as is.  So...what do you think....should I heat set them or try spraying some type of fixative on them?

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your comments and your visits are always appreciated!! Until next time...

Hugs!
Photobucket


Pin It!

12 comments:

tanglewithlinda.wordpress.com said...

Your coaster tile is lovely. I hope you learn how to protect it. I'm interested, since I want to make coasters too; and am not sure what to use; tiles like yours, paper with cork backs and laminated, or what.

tanglewithlinda.wordpress.com said...

Hope this works, having trouble signing in. Your coaster is lovely. Hope you find out how to protect it; I'm interested too.

Karen Lynn said...

A beautiful tile! And I do mean tile. I've heard that heat setting works, but haven't tried it myself. This would make a great coaster or hotplate. Or how about several for a kitchen backsplash? Hmmm.....

Anne's tangle blog said...

It's beautiful, I would like to have tiles like this.
I think I would spay something on it, because I don't know about heating and would be scared that it will break in the process.

Suze Bain said...

Wow Susan, this is fab and what a great idea. No idea about sealing them though - maybe a few coats of spray varnish? Xx

Unknown said...

Fabulous tile Susan.......I would pay a fortune for a set of these. Would definitely use a spray varnish on these rather than oven bake as you may find the colour of your pen work may change with the heat.
Karen x

Unknown said...

Really nice work!! I think it would depend on what your going to do with the tile, you could just put a sealer on it, if you weren't going to you use it for a trivet. I do think you would have to bake it, otherwise. Good luck!!

Daniele OBrien Design, CZT said...

Beautiful work! I've been working on tile this winter but couldn't get my microns to stay on. Lovely!

Suzanne Marie said...

These tiles are just beautiful! What a great idea! I am going to give this a try myself. Thank you for the inspiration!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous

Darnell said...

Hmmm, methinks you should have put a trademark or something on these, Susan. They are positively stunning and I certainly would pay money for a set of these!! I love black and white. I also think they would be fab in a backsplash as a pop, or impact ... hmm, can't think of the word I'm looking for, but you know what I mean.

Good luck with figuring out how to seal your brilliant designs ... and then how to sell them!! I'm not going to pin them b/c I don't want someone to steal your idea!

Nell said...

Great job...have you heard of
Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Paint Markers? They fire in the oven and last pretty well. I use to run my coffee cups through the dishwasher and they held up for at least 2 years. With your tiles, you would not be putting them in the washer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails