Sunday, October 21, 2012

LIM90 - Autumn

Saturday has rolled around again, and it's time for the Less is More challenge.  Mandi has been exceptionally busy getting her new wedding business going, so Chrissie has stepped up to give us this week's challenge.  Chrissie, just thought I should mention here...this was a very difficult challenge.  I know it shouldn't have been, or maybe my mojo has taken a vacation!  I racked my poor brain trying to some up with something for this week's challenge!  I thought of several things, but everything I thought of was something that I've done before...and I wanted DIFFERENT!  

I ended up making 5 cards for this week's challenge....I know, I usually do make several cards....but I just wanted to keep trying something "different"....!Anywho....this is what I came up with for this week's challenge:


This first card is done on watercolor paper and I actually did a bit of water coloring (something I rarely do).  The image is from SU.  I colored stamp with markers, using brown for the tree trunks and ground and then dabbing different colors of distress in on the leaves (reds, yellows, orange, and a touch of green).  Then using my water brush, I tried to draw my autumn-y colors together in the leaves.  I die cut an oval in some watercolor paper using a Spellbinder die, then pop-dotted it over the image.  I added a brown ribbon...just because it needed something.  Didn't add a sentiment..there didn't seem to be a good place for it!


This card is all about paper piecing.  I punched three ovals and three circles from orange card stock, then made my pumpkins by adhering the shapes together.  I punched leaves from several different colors of paper.  The straw was made by coloring some copy paper with Copics, then cutting it into thin strips before adhering them to the card panel.  I used a wood grain embossing plate from PTI for the background panel.  The stems of the pumpkins were hand cut then colored with Copics.  The curly tendrils on the pumpkins are just green paper that I curled and then adhered behind the pumpkins.  The sentiment is from Flourishes. Oh...I also added some orange strips to the edges of the white wood grain panel...I think it gave it a little bit of a pop.


I like this one...so-so.  The pumpkins were two different pumpkin stamps that I stamped/masked/then stamped again.  I colored with Copics and distress ink, then cut them out.  The wheat is stamped in Memento brown (Inkadinkado stamps - both pumpkins and wheat).  The sentiment is from Flourishes. Added thin strips of brown to the edges of the white panel.


 Okay, you're probably wondering what this has to do with autumn...right?  Well, I'm not much of a baker, but when the fall weather gets here, I start thinking of making fresh apple pies, or cherry pies....nothing better when they're hot from the oven!  I've had these images forever, but I believe they are from HA.  I embossed the bottom half of the panel, and then embossed a line across the top of the embossing.  Then sentiment was added afterwards using the computer.  Again...tiny strips of red added to the embossed panel.


This is my least favorite card this week. Not sure why...probably the "thanks" strip.  I do like the tree, but it was a royal pain to do.  I stamped the tree trunk in Memento brown, then stamped the leaves over that in the same brown, after stamping it off a couple of times.  I only wanted just a faint image of the leaves....then came the fun part.  I colored each and every one of they itty-bitty leaves!! I used several colors...and it took FOREVER!  Nope...won't be trying that again!!

Well, that's it for me today with this challenge.  I do appreciate your visits and your comments always brighten my day! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Until next time...

Hugs!
Photobucket


Pin It!

16 comments:

Loli said...

Hola Susan, fantastic set of autumnal cards, the first one is gorgeous!!! and very elegant, well, is difficult to choice only one, your pie is a really clever idea, fantastic colouring, great work Susan, the queen of cards another week :D
Hugs from Palma

Kim S said...

I don't think these could be any different but each perfectly represents "autumn"!!

Rosemary said...

just enjoyed another lovely stroll through your beautiful collection of cards, susan! you always inspire!

Chrissie said...

This is yet another super gallery of cards Susan. I know the feeling of wanting different, but innovation every time is difficult.
They are lovely cards but the effect of the foliage on the first one makes it my favourite this week.
Thank you so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Glittertastic said...

Oh you have been busy - these are fab. It's hard to pick a fave but I acually love the last card - all those tiny leaves look great against the white background.

Sharon
x

June Houck said...

Oh my goodness, I adore each one of these too! You are all set for autumn and winter cards :) Stunning cards, Susan.

Lynne said...

Another wonderful selection of cards Susan. I love the pumpkin one.
Lynne xxx

Bonnie said...

Oh, Wow, Susan! I love the trees in the oval frame! And the pumpkins with the trailing vines and punched leaves is awesome. (Who makes that punch?) Apple pies say Fall to me too. And coloring all those itty, bitty leaves really made a beautiful tree!

Sue said...

Hi Susan, all beautiful cards! I love the watercolouring on the first and the pumpkin with the trailing vines and leaves is amazing.

GinaA said...

A stunning set of cards, your landscape with the watercolour trees is outstanding .

Suzilou said...

Oh my gosh what fabulous cards, love them all. You do have some wonderful ideas and all so different :)

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

What a fabulous collection of Autumnal cards Susan - they are superb, and I love them all!
Hugs, Sylvia x

Rosmarie said...

A great collection of Autumn cards! One theme and so many possibilities ...
The first is Autumn in all its splendor! I love it!

kingstonmama said...

What beautiful autumn cards. LOVE them all, Susan.

You had asked a while back about my embossing on my silver LIM cards. I've been remiss in my commenting lately, but my only trick is that I often rub a dryer sheet over my cardstock before embossing. A friend has been telling me those dryer sheets are full of carcinogens, but they're so effective for embossing. Darn it all!

Ann

Viv said...

Wow Susan, all fab cards , just cannot choose a fav this time :) Viv xx

Aileen said...

Hi Susan a beautiful array of autumness! I think you are bluffing when you say you found this difficult!! x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails